Monday, September 23, 2013

A Weekend Away

Friday afternoon I got in my car and drove up into the mountains to spend the weekend at a ladies retreat. 

One would think that after such a weekend I would be bursting forth with inspiration and motivation.  I should have something profound and life changing to write about.  The truth is I don't. 

You may be thinking to yourself that we must not have had a very good speaker but I promise you that is not the case.  Our keynote speaker for the weekend was wonderful.  She did something that not many people are willing to do.  She talked to us about life.  About her life.  She is a beautiful example to me that how you see someone today doesn't show you anything about their yesterday.  I loved her words and her honesty.

The problem is this.  I sat up there and met new people and made new friends. We talked, we laughed and we even did some crying.  I kept having the same thoughts come back to me. Why was I so willing to invest in these strangers but I ignore the strangers in my everyday life.  The mom at the playground that I force myself to make small talk with, the lady sitting by herself at the ice cream shop, the older gentleman out for a walk with his dog that Zoe just has to pet, and even the couple that sit just down the row from me almost every Sunday at church. 

It's time for me to get outside my comfort zone and make an honest effort to reach out to others.  So, wish me luck.  I have a fresh batch of cookies Zoe and I are going to take over to the neighbors house this afternoon.  Yikes!

2 comments:

  1. That's probably the hardest thing of all!
    Let me know how it went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me three tries to catch them at home but when I did I was so glad. We had a good conversation and the door is open now to get to know them better.

      Delete