Friday, January 17, 2014

What We Say Matters

I have a quick story for you that will lead to my thought for the evening. 

For Christmas Zoe received a bath time tea set complete with bubble bath, fizzing cupcakes, and frosting that turns to soap.  Needless to say she loves it! Well done Auntie Anne.  Anyhow, earlier this week as I was giving Z her bath.  We're playing and having a grand time.  We have the plates floating on the water, the tea pot filled, and our little tea cups at the ready. Zoe pours me some tea and then she very plainly says to me, "Just pretend, don't actually drink the water."  It took me a minute and then I realized yes, my 2 year old just used the word "actually" in a sentence.  After another minute of thought I wasn't surprised at all because that was the exact phrase I had told her the night before. 

Now my thought for the evening: What we say matters.

It's in these moments that I realize just how important the things that we say to our children are. They are hungry for our attention. The communication that we have with them is precious.  When you are talking they are listening.  Trust me, I know there are times that you are sure your little ones are not hearing a single word you are saying but that's simply not the case.  They hear more than we think.  They hear the things we mumble to ourselves when we're frustrated and they hear the songs that we sing along to on the radio.  They hear the way we complain about things that don't go our way and they hear the stories that we read to them.  They hear the conversations we have with other adults and they hear the prayers we say when we tuck them in at night. 

This week was a good reminder for me to be very mindful of the words that come from my mouth.  Zoe is listening and I want her to hear me building others up.  To hear words of encouragement, and to hear positive statements about herself and the people in her life.  I am so proud of her and the way she is learning to express herself and tell me the things she is thinking.  Now, it is my job to be an example for her.   

No comments:

Post a Comment