Friday, January 31, 2014

My Little Mirror

My day did not go according to my plan.

It really frustrated me.

Then I stopped and looked at my daughter. 

Zoe was sitting on the couch mad at her sock for being twisted, mad at her cracker because the corner was broken, mad at the blanket because it was touching her, and whining about it all.  I knew then that I owed my daughter an apology.

 I sat down next to her and told her I was sorry.  I explained to her that when Mommy got mad at her blanket this morning because it ripped in the dryer and got yucky fuzzies on everything else Mommy was wrong to get mad.  I told her that when Mommy couldn't find her gym card it was wrong for Mommy to let that make her mad.  I told her that when we dropped the plate and it broke and got glass everywhere Mommy shouldn't have gotten mad about that either.  I told her that when we got to the grocery store and Mommy's card wasn't working Mommy let that make her mad but that was wrong too.  It was about this time Zoe looked up at me with her innocent little eyes and said, "Mommy's not mad anymore."  I hugged her and said, "No Sweetheart, I'm not." 

Zoe does a fantastic job of mirroring so much of what she sees in me.  It's more than just the words I say and the things I do.  She mirrors my emotions. When I allow the circumstances in any given day the run my emotions I am teaching my daughter to do the same. 

After Zoe and I had our little chat on the couch we ate some chocolate and talked about things that make us mad and how we can handle them better.  The rest of our day had just as many things that went completely wrong.  We spilled a brand new carton of milk, Zoe lost her purple rock, the garage door isn't working, Z got a fat lip, and I left my phone at the grocery store.   We did however handle them much better. 

Thank you Zoe for being a little mirror for Mommy to see areas where we can improve.  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment