Sunday, October 6, 2013

What Really Matters

This afternoon I have reached a point of contemplating what really matters.  I have been pushed down this line of thinking by two seemingly unrelated situations yet maybe my answer to the first dilemma is actually my answer to the second. 

Okay so here's the deal. 

Situation #1  The hill/mountain directly behind my house was on fire this morning.  As it turns out only about 15 acres were burned and the fire was contained before it became a dangerous threat.  Never the less, it did raise the question for Jake and I of what we value in our home and whether we needed to get anything out of the house before getting ourselves to safety.

Situation #2  For our life group that we are in at church we have homework this week.  We are supposed to write down what our core values are for our family. 

Now you see why I sit here contemplating what really matters.  On one side I am looking at my physical possessions and asking myself what of it has the most value to me.  On the flip side, our core values are not caught up in what we own.  They are the reality of how we live our lives each day.  So what does really matter?

I loved that when I asked Jake what I needed to get out of the house his answer was myself and Zoe.  He made no secret of the fact that the things in the house are just things to him.  He looked at me and said that Zoe and I are all that matter.  Things can be replaced, we cannot.  Having this mindset is a good reminder that for our family one of our core values will forever be this.  It is the people in our lives that matter, not the things. 

It's always a challenge when you have to look at your own life and evaluate what it is that you place the most value in.  Today is a very good reminder for me to hold my physical possessions very loosely but to pour my heart into the people in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment